SDCC's Avatar panel wrapped up at about 9 PM PST last night. The panel lasted about an hour and 45 minutes and was composed of Avatar creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko and Avatar Director Joaquim Dos Santos. The panel program was as follows:
1. Panel introduction & Avatar MMORPG game announcement by Nick Exec Roland Poindexter
2. Screening of finale episodes 320 and 321
3. Fanart Contest runner ups and winners presented by Mike & Bryan
4. Cosplay Contest presented by Mike & Bryan
5. "Forbidden Love" Joke Short
6. Q&A Session with Mike & Bryan
Not a lot of major news came out of the panel, but it was confirmed once again that season three was the end of the show. Here are a few other tidbits in no particular order:
1. Zuko finding Ursa was actually storyboarded for the finale by Avatar Director Joaquim Dos Santos, but was nixed by Mike DiMartino - not really sure why.
2. Avatar will be airing in order on Nicktoons "soon" - no date was announced though.
3. The lion turtle taught Aang how to spirit bend (Bryan called it "unbending", but still not clear exactly what to call it).
4. Aang can spirit bend or take other people's bending away at will, it wasn't just a one time thing.
5. A new Avatar MMORPG will be coming out soon, presumably like World of Warcraft or Everquest
6. This won't be the last Avatar panel at SDCC.
7. Mike made it clear that at least the first live action movie is a very faithful retelling of Book One: Water.
Back to overview